PROJECT TO SUPPORT THE DIRECTORATE FOR THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
The Directorate was a beneficiary of IPA 2008 – the instrument for pre-accession assistance of the European Union. During 2010, the final version of the project task document was adopted, and the European Commission Delegation carried out the procedure for selecting the most favorable bidder for the realization of the project. The project started to be implemented on 10.01.2011, for a duration of 18 months.
The project aimed to contribute to strengthening the competences of the Directorate for Personal Data Protection, improving the implementation of legislation in the area of personal data, as well as raising public awareness among citizens about their right to protect personal data.
Project activities were divided into 4 components:
Component 1: Harmonization of the domestic legislation with the European one
Component 2: Strengthening the institutional capacities of the Directorate for Personal Data Protection
Component 3: Raising public awareness of the right to protection of personal data as a human right
Component 4: Upgrading the IT infrastructure of the Directorate for Personal Data Protection
PROJECT – SUPPORT IN PREPARATION OF STRATEGIC DOCUMENTS AND CORRESPONDING ACTION PLANS INCLUDING MEDIA AWARENESS RESEARCH FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE RIGHT TO PROTECT PERSONAL DATA
During the period March – December 2011, the Directorate for the Protection of Personal Data was the beneficiary of funds from the IPA program 2008, Component 1, through the project Support in drafting strategic documents and appropriate action plans, including media awareness research for implementation of the right to protect personal data.
The project implemented by the consulting company IBF International Consulting and the experts Mr. Edmond Miletic and Mrs. Verica Trajkova S, implemented two components:
1. Support of the Directorate in adopting a Strategy for the implementation of the right to the protection of personal data, through:
– Evaluation of existing action plans;
– Analysis of the best practices from the EU;
– Finding appropriate solutions for a strategic approach to the protection of personal data;
– Support in the development of the Strategy for the protection of personal data;
– Consultative events.
2. Research of media awareness about the right to protection of personal data.
– Overview of the practical implementation of the right to protection of personal data;
– Best European practice among the media for the protection of personal data;
– Methodology for monitoring the media’s awareness of personal data protection;
– Consultative process and focus groups of media workers.
The result of the first component of the project is the adopted Strategy for the Protection of Personal Data 2012-2016 with an Action Plan for its implementation. The strategy, as a medium-term document, traces the operation of the Directorate, the development of the protection of personal data and the commitments to guarantee the right to privacy.
The result of the second component of the project is the Research on the awareness of the media and media workers on the observance of the principles of personal data protection during their media publication.
The final event of the project was the International Conference on Strategic Approach in the Development of Personal Data Protection Mechanisms, held in November 2011. In the presence of delegations from most European countries and the Council of Europe, in addition to the promotion of the aforementioned documents, the legal framework for the operation of the authorities for the protection of personal data and its practical implementation and the modernization of the EU legislation were discussed.
– Media Awareness Survey – Download