On June 1, 2021, the implementation of the twinning project “Support in the implementation of the modernized national framework for the protection of personal data”, financed by the European Union, began.
The main goal of the project is to improve the protection of basic human rights and the national system for the protection of personal data in the Republic of North Macedonia in accordance with the standards of the legislation of the European Union. A specific goal of the project is to improve the performance of the Personal Data Protection Agency for the implementation of the modernized legal framework for the protection of personal data by strengthening institutional capacities, the legal and regulatory framework and public awareness of personal data protection.
The twinning project “Support in the implementation of the modernized national framework for the protection of personal data” will be implemented in a period of 18 months. It is planned to achieve more results through the project:
- Creation of guides for the implementation of the novelties of the Law on the Protection of Personal Data on the following topics: transparency and the rights of the subject of personal data, the right to portability of personal data, assessment of the impact of personal data protection, technical and integrated protection of personal data (data protection by design and by default), techniques for pseudonymization and anonymization, processing of personal data for scientific, historical and statistical purposes, transfer of personal data, making automatic decisions including profiling;
- Development of standard operating procedures for efficient execution of the Agency’s new competences arising from the Law on Personal Data Protection;
- Development of a methodology for the harmonization of the sectoral regulation and assessment of the impact of the protection of personal data regulated in the Law on the Protection of Personal Data;
- Strengthening the capacities of the employees of the Agency and the employees of other relevant state institutions and law enforcement bodies by organizing workshops related to the novelties of the General Regulation for the Protection of Personal Data and the so-called Police Directive; and
- Preparation of new tools for controllers and citizens for easier implementation of the Law on Personal Data Protection.
Total budget : 700,000 euros
Responsible persons of the project from the EU Member States:
Igor Vulje, project leader
Lucas Gunderman, second project leader
Sanja Silay Zeman, permanent advisor of the project
Responsible persons from AZLP:
Imer Aliu, project leader from the beneficiary institution
Slobodanka Slavkovska, permanent advisor of the project by the beneficiary institution.
Beneficiary of the project: Agency for the Protection of Personal Data (AZLP)
Consortium implementing the project:
Agency for the Protection of Personal Data (AZOP) from the Republic of Croatia
German Foundation for International Legal Cooperation (IRZ) from the Federal Republic of Germany.